Spicy Tomato Chutney
- 6 ripe tomatoes (cut in small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 small jalapeño chili pepper (minced)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hing (asaoefetida)
In skillet heat ghee, then add mustard seeds, chili, cumin seeds and ginger. Add tomato pieces. Cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes or until tomatoes resemble a chunky sauce.
Remove from pan and put in blender on low speed for 5 seconds.
Put back in skillet and add salt, sugar, hing and coriander powder. Cook for 3 minutes uncovered.
serve hot or cold. Chutney is a nice addition to a simple meal of chapattis, rice and dahl.